A New Hope
adidas Originals first unleashed their sparkling new NMD_R1 silhouette on the world in 2015. The project, led by Nic Galway, Vice President of Global Design, was intended to bring the comfort and performance of adidas footwear to their Originals category. Nicknamed the Nomad, the NMD was built to bridge the gap between lifestyle and performance, creating a shoe to withstand all day, everyday wear and tear. The sleek new release was an amalgamation of three past Three Stripes silhouettes, the Micropacer, Boston Super, and Rising Star, taking the most innovative and exciting pieces of each and fusing them together for something entirely new. While the NMD was an eye-catching product itself, the new model caught the attention of sneakerheads due to the shoe’s full-length Boost midsole, the first to appear on adidas’ lifestyle footwear. The high-performance cushioning combined with the casual-yet-sporty style helped propel the NMD into the era-defining sneaker that it has become today.
In the early days, the NMD saw a nearly unlimited string of limited edition releases, special colorways, and hard-to-find size runs. Combined with plentiful standard-release models and wide availability, this helped the NMD to become a cultural phenomenon. While sneakerheads hunted down rare pairs like the special edition Pharrell colorways or the extremely limited BAPE rendition, casual sneaker-wearers were drawn in as more and more celebrities were seen sporting them casually, maybe training in the gym or simply out shooting some photos. In the few years since it first launched, the adidas NMD has introduced a whole new era for the Three Stripes due to its massive popularity, timeless style, and endless comfort.
• One-piece upper for snug and adaptive fit
• Multiple styles of upper for different fit & feel: Primeknit, adaptive knit, and mesh.
• NMD-branded pull tab on the heel for quick & easy entry or removal.
• Full-length Boost midsole for a responsive, high-performance cushioning
• Signature EVA plugs embedded in the sole for additional support & stability.
• Rubber outsole featuring three different patterns for different grip where needed.
• Hexagonal patches & grooves cut into the outsole to improve flexibility.